• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I want to lose my tummy fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerbalTruist

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah thats right I used the word tummy.

I started working out pretty religiously last semester five times a week and I've increased my diet and made it pretty good.

I've gained probably 10lbs in muscle which is awesome. However, I have yet to lose the fat that is hanging out on my stomach.

Can you guys give me some thoughts on this?

I've been trying... hard. Perhaps its the amount of food I'm eating? I dont think so though I try to stay pretty healthy and stuff.

Anyways what are your thoughts?

I swim tues and thurs and I cycle mon wen fri I go at least ten miles when I cycle and I lift three days a week.

Can you give me a sample of your diet? Fat loss is influenced much more by diet than by exercise. If you can give me a sample of one day's intake, I'll give you some input.

A yoga book of mine recommends this set of exercises for tightening the abdominal region.

http://www.yoga-age.com/asanas/nauli.html

Nauli & Uddiyana Bandha

Nauli Kriya is intended for regenerating, invigorating and stimulating the abdominal viscera and the gastro-intestinal or alimentary system. For the practice of Nauli you should know the Uddiyana Bandha. Uddiyana can be done even in a sitting posture; but Nauli is generally done while standing.

Stage 1
Do a strong and forcible expiration through the mouth and keep the lungs completely empty. Contract and forcibly draw the abdominal muscles towards the back. This is Uddiyana Bandha. This is the first stage of Nauli. Uddiyana Bandha terminates in Nauli.

For practising Nauli, stand up. Keep the right leg a foot apart from the left leg. If you keep up the feet close together, at times you may lose the balance and stumble down. Rest your hands on the thighs, thus making a slight curve of the back. Then do Uddiyana Bandha. Do this for one week before proceeding to the next stage.

uddiana.jpg

Stage two

Now allow the centre of the abdomen free by contracting the left and right side of the abdomen. You will have all the muscles in the centre in a vertical line. This is called Madhyama Nauli. Keep it as long as you can with comfort. Do only this much for a few days.

nauli.jpg

Stage 3

Here you should contract the right side of the abdomen and allow the left side free. You will have the muscles on the left side only. This is called Vama Nauli. Again contract the left side muscles and allow the right side free. This is Dakshina Nauli. By having such gradual practices, you will understand how to contract the muscles of the central, left and right sides of the abdomen. You will also notice how they move from side to side. In this stage you will see the abdominal muscles only in the central, right or the left side. Practice this stage for a week.

dnauli.jpg

Stage 4

Keep the muscles in the centre. Slowly bring to the right side and then to left side in a circular way. Do this several times from the right to left side and then do it in a reverse way from the left to right side. You should turn the muscles always with a circular motion slowly. When you advance in the practice you can do it quickly; but you can derive full benefits of this Kriya when you do it very slowly and gradually. This last stage of Nauli will appear like ‘churning’ when the abdominal muscles are isolated and rotated from side to side.

Beginners will feel slight pain of abdomen in the first two or three attempts. They need not fear and stop the practice. The pain will vanish away in 2 or 3 days. When Nauli is demonstrated by the advanced Yogic student, the onlookers will be extremely surprised to look at the movements of the abdominal muscles. They will feel as if an engine is working in the abdominal factory.

When beginners want to do Dakshina Nauli, they should slightly bend towards the left side and contract the left muscles. When they want to do Vama Nauli, let them bend a little to the right side. In Madhyama Nauli, push the entire muscles forward by contracting the two sides.

This exercise is not at all possible for those who have a barrel-like belly. When they find it difficult to carry their own belly, they cannot at all dream of getting success in this Kriya. They can also try by gradual slow practice. For getting success, they must exert hard and have rigorous practice for a long time. Those who have a tender body can very easily learn and perform this Kriya in a beautiful and efficient manner.

In the famous Hardwar cosmopolitan platform where Punjabis and Bengali Baboos stroll in the evening with their ladies, on the banks of the Ganges, some persons demonstrate Nauli and various other Asanas and Mudras for the sake of a few pies only. They pass on from one exercise to the other very quickly. You will find the same in Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay, Madras and in all the busy centres. This is only a sort of profession. It is not at all Yoga. It is only a variety of physical feats. From the very condition of their body you will find that they do not possess all the qualifications and aims of a Yogi, They do not even appear physically better, since they are habituated to intoxicant drinks, Ganja, Bhang, etc.

If the Yogic exercises are done in the right way with the right mental attitude, it will surely lead you to spiritual growth. Nauli Kriya eradicates chronic constipation, dyspepsia and all other diseases of the gastro-intestinal system. Nauli helps Sang Pachar and Basti Kriya also. The liver and pancreas are toned. The kidneys and other organs of the abdomen function properly. Nauli is a blessing to humanity. It is a sovereign specific ‘uni-all’ or an ideal ‘pick-me-up.’

By SRI SWAMI SIVANANDA
(Chapter 3)
Kundalini Yoga

It's debatable as to whether one can "spot loss" fat. For the most part, you've got to shrink your overall bodyfat percentage to see losses in any particular place. As a guy, you'll want to get to around 10% before you'll start seeing your abs (I'm guessing that this is what you want). A lot of gyms, and some doctors too, will give you a bodyfat test for free. Check if yours does, and report those answers back to us.

overall weight training+Ab exercises+aerobics+good diet= stomach fat loss.

I know this seems kind of simple, but if you follow a diet that conforms to your body type and exercise regularly you can lose quite a bit of fat over a period of months and get a sweet ass six pack.

My ab routine.

Swiss crunches 3 x 30
hanging leg raises 3 x 25
side crunches 3 x 25
bicycle crunches 3 x 30

I mix it up with other exercises but these seem to pinpoint my abs pretty nicely.

Other exercises that work the abs pretty well are any core exercises including deadlift, squats etc.

Work your legs more. When I joined the sprint team (one month ago) i had about 1.5 inches of fat on my belly. It has pretty much disappeared and my legs have gotten sturdier so i presume most of that fat is striated between the muscles in my legs. Sprinting rocks.

The most important thing would be not to work your abs as your body tends to place the fat in a location close to where it will be needed (unless you live a sedentary lifestyle). For example, if you do like 100 crunches every day, sit-ups well past the point of exhaustion, your abs will be burning fat, so in future your body will deposit fat around your abdomen for easy access the next time you use your ab muscles so much that they start to burn fat.

There is absolutely, positively no such thing as spot fat burning. It is simply not the way your body works.

Where you store fat is determined genetically by the number of fat cells in each area. Generally, men carry most of their fat in the belly and women carry it in the hips, thighs and butt. These are the last places to lose fat.

When muscles access fat for energy (which is only through the oxidative metabolic pathway when glycogen/glucose supplies are low) it is through the bloodstream. Fat cells must break down stored fat (triglycerides) in order for it to enter the bloodstream as free fatty acids to be available for energy, a process that is hormonally controlled. It is chemically and physically impossible for that process to only occur in a particular area because the hormones flow through your bloodstream. Fat storage works in the same manner. The only thing that affects where fat is stored or released from is the number of fat cells in an area since fat is stored and released evenly though out the fat cells.

Are you sure it's not gas? I've given very many massages to points on people's feet that make them expel gas and make the stomach instantly smaller. Sometimes I massage the stomach. My friends sometimes used to make me massage them pre-night out so they look sexay in their tight dresses :|

Use your thumbs to press the bottom of your feet. Are there some painful points? You can press them (not TOO hard) until you start burping or farting. Some people will be surprised how they think they are "fat" but just carrying some excess gas in their stomach.

They say these are the points but I find that manipulating almost any point on the "palm" of the foot can lead to gas expelling. These give good results too.

Stomachreflexologypoints_Full.jpg

You can also lean over and transfer your weight onto your stomach over something like the backrest of a chair or banister (don't fall).

The exercises Mehm posted would expel gas as well.

There is absolutely, positively no such thing as spot fat burning. It is simply not the way your body works.

Where you store fat is determined genetically by the number of fat cells in each area. Generally, men carry most of their fat in the belly and women carry it in the hips, thighs and butt. These are the last places to lose fat.

When muscles access fat for energy (which is only through the oxidative metabolic pathway when glycogen/glucose supplies are low) it is through the bloodstream. Fat cells must break down stored fat (triglycerides) in order for it to enter the bloodstream as free fatty acids to be available for energy, a process that is hormonally controlled. It is chemically and physically impossible for that process to only occur in a particular area because the hormones flow through your bloodstream. Fat storage works in the same manner. The only thing that affects where fat is stored or released from is the number of fat cells in an area since fat is stored and released evenly though out the fat cells.

exactly, if you can, increase your cardio activity and if you continue the diet, it will eventually come off. it won't happen instantly.

All i can add is to eat five meals a day. It will help to burn fat quicker.

Fat accumulates in that area, because those muscles need specific exercises. If there is flab or fat accumulation there, most times the back is weak! It does not support and the muscles of the oposite group have no support and hence fat gatthers due to muscle flab. Do sit ups, place your feet under some support (the couch if heavy enough)so that you don't ruin your back, and do sit ups with your hands behind your neck and extended elbows.

Stomach fat is due to a weak back and a weak back is fixed with sit ups? Wow, I'm....blown away. Where does stuff like this come from?

Actually this is not accurate. You can spot reduce fat. A recent study found that areas that are worked lose fat at a greater rate than areas that are not worked. So, if you want to lose fat on your legs, stimulate your leg muscles. The heat that your leg muscles generate will increase the rate of lipolysis.

The bigger the muscles surrounding the fat deposits, then the greater the spot reduction will be.

However, in general you are correct that as a person loses fat they lose it everywhere. Genetics and hormonal profile have a lot to do with where and how fast the fat is lost.

Not trying to call you out, as you seem to be very knowledgeable. Just for your own personal edification because a lot of people are unaware of this study right now.

Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?

Bente Stallknecht, Flemming Dela, and Jørn Wulff Helge

Department of Medical Physiology, The Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark

Aerobic exercise increases whole body adipose tissue lipolysis, but is lipolysis higher in subcutaneous adipose tissue (SCAT) adjacent to contracting muscles than in SCAT adjacent to resting muscles? Ten healthy, overnight-fasted males performed one-legged knee extension exercise at 25% of maximal workload (Wmax) for 30 min followed by exercise at 55% Wmax for 120 min with the other leg and finally exercised at 85% Wmax for 30 min with the first leg. Subjects rested for 30 min between exercise periods. Femoral SCAT blood flow was estimated from washout of 133Xe, and lipolysis was calculated from femoral SCAT interstitial and arterial glycerol concentrations and blood flow. In general, blood flow and lipolysis were higher in femoral SCAT adjacent to contracting than adjacent to resting muscle (time 15–30 min; blood flow: 25% Wmax 6.6 ± 1.0 vs. 3.9 ± 0.8 ml·100 g–1·min–1, P < 0.05; 55% Wmax 7.3 ± 0.6 vs. 5.0 ± 0.6 ml·100 g–1·min–1, P < 0.05; 85% Wmax 6.6 ± 1.3 vs. 5.9 ± 0.7 ml·100 g–1·min–1, P > 0.05; lipolysis: 25% Wmax 102 ± 19 vs. 55 ± 14 nmol·100 g–1·min–1, P = 0.06; 55% Wmax 86 ± 11 vs. 50 ± 20 nmol·100 g–1·min–1, P > 0.05; 85% Wmax 88 ± 31 vs. –9 ± 25 nmol·100 g–1·min–1, P < 0.05). In conclusion, blood flow and lipolysis are generally higher in SCAT adjacent to contracting than adjacent to resting muscle irrespective of exercise intensity. Thus specific exercises can induce "spot lipolysis" in adipose tissue.

That's an interesting theory. I'll look up the full study on Pubmed when I'm at work tomorrow. I'd like to see more details than are in the abstract.

That's an interesting theory. I'll look up the full study on Pubmed when I'm at work tomorrow. I'd like to see more details than are in the abstract.

do you have article privs? If not I can snag the full article for you so you can check out the method they used. IIRC they used leg press to taste lipolysis around leg muscles.

OP, you need to restrict calories if you want to lose fat. Cardio is good, but if you increase consumption because you're hungrier from the cardio you're probably not going to lose anything.

Calories in < calories expended

there's your fat loss.

Do you know what your maintenance is? Do you have a food scale? You might have to get real accurate with your calorie intake for a little while if you want to get ripped.

The same as where your stuff comes from, you seem to know everything? You don't miss any information or study in other areas?
It could help you to get some humbleness, now would you not feel a fool, when you act coy and other information comes through that your precious grandiose self thinks has it all under control?

Hey Izabella, Rabbi is actually extremely knowledgeable about exercise science. Check out some of his past posts if you'd like to further confirm that. he's one of the better posters in this forum.

Are you sure it's not gas? I've given very many massages to points on people's feet that make them expel gas and make the stomach instantly smaller. Sometimes I massage the stomach. My friends sometimes used to make me massage them pre-night out so they look sexay in their tight dresses :|

Use your thumbs to press the bottom of your feet. Are there some painful points? You can press them (not TOO hard) until you start burping or farting. Some people will be surprised how they think they are "fat" but just carrying some excess gas in their stomach.

They say these are the points but I find that manipulating almost any point on the "palm" of the foot can lead to gas expelling. These give good results too.

Stomachreflexologypoints_Full.jpg

You can also lean over and transfer your weight onto your stomach over something like the backrest of a chair or banister (don't fall).

The exercises Mehm posted would expel gas as well.

wat

are

you

talking

about? :!

How can one mistake bodyfat for having too much gas? That just doesn't make sense at all to me.

*shakes head in confusion*

Status
Not open for further replies.